What does it mean to be a Christian?
Most people live their entire lives without ever knowing “why?” They exist year after year with no idea of why they live or God’s purpose for their lives. The most basic question a person can ask is,What is the meaning of life.
Why am I here?
1. God made me to love me! (Eph. 1:4-5 (GN)) – God says, “ I have loved you with an everlasting love! ” Jeremiah 31:3
2. We were created to enjoy a personal relationship with God (John 17:2 to 3).
3. We were created to exercise dominion over the rest of creation (Genesis 1:27 to 28 (LB); 1 Timothy 6:17)
4. Jesus came so that we could live life in all its fullness (John 10:10)
Some of the benefits of living in God’s purposes
1. Clear Conscience (Rom. 8:1) 6. Security (Rom. 8:39)
2. Life & peace (Rom. 8:6) 7. Power & strength (Phil. 4:13)
3. Help with our weakness (Rom.
8:26) 8. Fulfilment (Phil. 4:19)
4. Purpose (Rom. 8:28) 9. Freedom (John 8:32,36)
5. Confidence (Rom. 8:31)
What is the problem?
Man has a natural desire to be the boss of his life and ignore God’s principles for living.
“ All of us, like sheep, have gone astray, and each of us has turned to his own way ” Isaiah 53:6
“ If we say that we never sin, we are only fooling ourselves, and refuse to accept the truth ” 1 John 1:8
Sin interferes with our relationship with God. It causes us to fear God and try to live our lives outside of His will.
“ The trouble is that your sins have cut you off from God ” Isaiah 59:2 (LB)
“ All have sinned and fall short of God’s glorious ideal ” Romans 3:23
When our relationship with God is not right, it causes problems in every area of our lives — marriage, career, relationships, finances, etc.
When people have problems, they often try many different ways of coping before turning to God.
“ There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death ” Proverbs 16:25 (NKJV)
Even when we know that our deepest need is God, we often try wrong ways of getting to know Him:
- “My mother was a Christian so…”
- “It doesn’t matter what you believe as long as you are sincere”
- “I’ll give up all my bad habits.”
- “I’ll work real hard and earn it.”
- “I’ll be religious and go to church.”
What is the solution?
Jesus Christ said, “I am the way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father, except through me!” John 14:6
God Himself came to earth as a human being to bring us back to Himself. If any other way would have worked, Jesus Christ would not have had to come. The Way is a Person!
God did this for us because He loves us and wants us to know Him.
“God demonstrated His love for us in that while we were still separated from God by sin, Christ died for us.”Rom. 5:8
“God is on one side and all people are on the other side, and Christ Jesus is between them to bring them together, by giving His life for all mankind.” 1 Tim. 2:5
God has already done His part to restore our relationship with Him. He took the initiative. Now He waits for each of us to individually accept what He has done for us. Here is how you can do this:
- You must recognise that God has not been first place in your life and ask Him to forgive you for that and also for all your sins.
- “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from every wrong.” 1 John 1:9
- Believe that Jesus Christ died for you in order to pay for your sins. After He died, He rose again and is alive today
- “If you confess that Jesus is your Lord, and you believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9
- “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name (Jesus) by which we must be saved.” Acts 4:12
- Accept God’s free gift of salvation by faith (trust). Don’t try to earn it.
- “For it is by grace you are saved, through faith — and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God — not by works, so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8, 9
- Our relationship with God is not restored by anything we do, but on the basis of what Jesus has already done for us!
- Invite Jesus Christ to come into your life and be the Lord (boss, master, ruler, director) of your life
- “To all who receive Him, He gives the right to become children of God. All we need to do is to trust Him to save us. All those who believe this are reborn! — not a physical rebirth…but from the will of God!” John 1:12-13
- “Jesus says, ‘Listen! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in…’” Rev. 3:30
Consequences for not accepting God’s solution for our lives…..
18 “There is no eternal doom awaiting those who trust him to save them. But those who don’t trust him have already been tried and condemned for not believing in the only Son of God. 19 Their sentence is based on this fact: that the Light from heaven came into the world, but they loved the darkness more than the Light, for their deeds were evil. 20 They hated the heavenly Light because they wanted to sin in the darkness. They stayed away from that Light for fear their sins would be exposed and they would be punished. 21 But those doing right come gladly to the Light to let everyone see that they are doing what God wants them to.” John 3:18 to 21 (TLB)
Our sins will remain
- We will have to face God with our sins
- God will reject us because of our sins
- We will be forever condemned to be separated from God in Hell because of our sins
Consequences for not accepting God’s solution for our lives…..
It is the prayer prayed from the heart that God responds to.
For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. Rom 10:10(NLT)
Please pray this prayer to God:
“ Dear Jesus, thank you for making me and loving me, even when I’ve ignored you and went my own way. I realize that I need you in my life and I’m sorry for all my sins. I ask you to forgive me. Thank you for dying on the cross for me. Please help me to understand it more. As much as I know how, I want to follow you from now on. Please come into my life and make me a new person inside. I accept your gift of salvation. Please help me to grow now as a Christian. Amen.”
9 For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. 11 As the Scriptures tell us, “Anyone who believes in him will not be disappointed.” Rom 10:9-11 (NLT)
“Whoever calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved.” Romans 10:13